Thursday, September 29, 2011

FAQ

 I've been getting lots of emails with some questions, so I figured it was about time to start an FAQ section! Answering questions sure is fun, so if you would like to add one, send me an email! 
From now on, if you click the the question mark picture, right next to the "About" picture you will be taken to the FAQ page!

How did you come up with Talk2thetrees? 
Two big things influenced that name. When I was little I used to talk to trees. I had an apricot tree out back that I would play with and talk to. I would climb it, and play under it. I built little pixie houses out of stone and sticks.  I would go there when I was sad or lonely. I even got made fun of by my siblings and cousins for being a "tree talker."
The name Talk2thetrees was also my first ever email address! I remember coming up with it when I was just starting the internet back in 7th or 8th grade. I chose talk2thetrees. Not talktothetrees.. talk2thetrees. I'm not sure why I choose to have the 2 in there, but I've always like it there. It breaks up the words, and is a lot easier to type.  
I've been using talk2thetrees since then, in nearly every username possible. So, naturally when I signed up for a blog and Etsy, Talk2thetrees was my first choice. 

Are trees good listeners?
They really are, and they talk back! Of course you can't ask a tree how it's day was as expect to hear an answer.. but if you sit quietly and meditate enough you can hear anyone and any thing's story.  The universe has a lot to say, and so do the trees.

Do you have a real job?
Aside from blogging, painting and making hats I have a small part time job as a designer/photographer. I've just started a new chapter in my life that requires a lot more money is required from me. This job is perfect for me to stay creative and ensure I can pay my rent. I will always claim that my job is a full time artist. Art is all I do.

How old are you?
I dislike this question an awful lot. I don't feel my age at all. Sometimes I feel like I'm still 18, sometimes I feel like I'm 80! Sometimes I feel like I'm 4. Lets just say, I'm in my early twenties.

Where do you shop for clothes?
I recently started doing outfit posts, those share where I get my clothes from. Some of my favorite stores are Forever21, Love Culture, all thrift stores, Etsy, and Charlotte Russe. I also love to make my own clothes, or wear clothes made by someone else.

Where does your inspiration come from?
I'm very inspired by nature. I let my knitting inspire my art, and my art inspire my knitting. I also get a lot of inspiration from fairy tales, vintage illustrations, color and all things uplifting. I try to always send a positive message in every single painting.

How do you come up with the designs for your hats?
I come up my designs mostly from a random idea. The idea turns into a sketch, and the sketch turns into a hat. I love to recreate vintage hats with a bit of yarn. I do sketch out nearly every design. Some of my paintings are of people wearing hats just like the hats I make, these paintings are more often than not inspired by the hat! First sketched as a hat design, then later turned into actual art.

Do you sell patterns?
I don't sell patterns because I don't use patterns! I have no idea how to read patterns, and I like to keep it that way. That makes each of my designs original! I can't even begin to explain how some of the hats are made... they are all unique works or art.

How long have you been knitting/ crocheting?
I have been knitting and crocheting for two years now! I learned to knit out of sheer boredom one day and it turned into an entire line of hats and a unique style! I taught myself over youtube videos, pictures, and lots of frustration. My mother came to visit and helped me perfect the craft. I learned to crochet the same way. Both started out as very simple stitches, and I keep learning.

How long have you been an artist?
I feel as if I've been an artist all my life. Ever since I was little, all I wanted to do was paint or draw. I've been selling art for almost a year now and I love it. I've got a few paintings in galleries across the United States, and will soon be included in an art show this Spring! Being a full time artist is a dream of mine, and has been since I was a little tree talking girl. It's a dream that I will stubbornly make come true.

Why are your hats so expensive?
I've actually heard this questions a lot, and it deserves an answer. The term expensive is a relative tern. I don't think my hats are priced too high, espcially with all things considered. It's not easy doing what I do, and the entire hat prosses is very long. It would be an entirely different thing if I were not so particular or caring about making the best quality hat possible. My hats are made by my two hands and each one takes several hours to make. It won't leave my workshop if it's anything less than perfect. My hats will last a very long time if treated properly. They make wonderful keepsakes and may be passed on to others, not as used goods, but as a work of art.


What do you do in your spare time?
I love to explore and travel. I try to bring my camera with me everywhere I go and I'm constantly taking pictures. I take my dog's on walks, and go on adventures with my boyfriend. I also love to cook! I'm allergic to wheat products, so I always get to come up with new recipes. You should try my gluten free pizza! I love to read, and watch movies. I however can't watch a movie without doing something with my hands.
I have to create every single day, I go absolutely mad if I am unable to! I feel as if the whole day is wasted if I am unable to create.

What kind of camera do you use?
I currently use a Canon Rebel xsi with a 50mm 1.4 lens. I also have a few macro lenses and a wide angle lens.  I'm working real hard to save up for an even better camera. First things first.

Can I get a custom painting?
I love custom paintings! I however am not accepting custom work until Christmas time. Send me an email at Talk2thetrees@gmail.com and we can discuss your painting!

Have a question for me? Email me at Talk2thetrees@gmail.com! 



5 comments:

  1. Fun! It makes me want to do a FAQ even though I don't get many questions. Maybe I should open the floor for some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trees definitely do talk back! As a Wiccan and a nature lover in general, I've learned to talk and listen to the trees. Also, I used to sit under them, talk to them, hug them and build little houses as a child too. (And I still do!)

    I love this Q&A. So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what macro lens do you use? all the ones i see are so expensive?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely bunch of FAQ :) Learned some things about you and your work that I didn't already know! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!
Be sure to leave a link to YOUR blog so I can come say hi! xoxo