Friday, September 2, 2011

If Dogs Could Talk

It was a warm summer afternoon, and swear I "overheard" my doggies conversation with each other. Wicket was busy at work, while Charlie was relaxing chewing on a stick. Charlie noticed Wicket working hard and getting very tired and dirty.

"What are you doing?" Asked Charlie to Wicket.
Wicket answered simply, "Diggin."
Charlie quickly grabbed a stick and approached Wicket. Although he wasn't satisfied with Wicket's first answer, he had an idea of what the hole was for.
Charlie asked, "What are you digging for?"
Wicket responded, "Diggin hole for bones n sticks n treasures."
At this point, we need to remember that Wicket is still a child. Being a six month old puppy, he is still a bit of a toddler. The things he does, (and says) are often unexplainable.
"Wow Wicket," Charlie said as he looked into the hole. "This is a pretty deep hole! Could I maybe put my stick in there? I want to save it for later."
"No." He said quickly. "My hole. No room."
Wicket put his nose into the hole and admired his work.
"What are you talking about?! This is a big hole. Lots of sticks could fit in here." Charlie said with surprise.
"In fact, this hole is so big, you yourself could fit in there!" He added as he looked in the hole.
Wicket, who was taking a break from hole digging to chew on a stick, was suddenly struck with a genius idea.
In order to save his hole for just himself.. he knew what he had to do. He set his stick down, walked over to his handiwork, and lay down in his hole.
He closed his eyes and ignored Charlie, who seemed quite upset. Wicket looked and felt a bit like a martyr at this point.
And there Wicket sat to guard his hole. Charlie watched and waited, but Wicket refused to move.
Until I called them in for lunch.

The end.


15 comments:

  1. It made me giggle too. :) I like to think it actually happened this way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an adorable story! You could probably write an entire series of children's books all about your cute doggies. The pictures are gorgeous and perfectly illustrate the conversation ;)

    http://bit.ly/d13I3J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I love this. I often wonder what my critters are thinking, and what they might say if they could talk. Sometimes I have one-sided conversations with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Elizabeth, I've actually thought about writing a children's book.. though I want to illustrate it!
    BreAnn- I have lots of one sided conversations with my puppies.. I even still talk to Mowgli. I don't think they area always one sided. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. tehehehe!!! Your pups are just TOO cute!!! I would lie in that hole too if I spent that much time digging it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet the dirt was cool too! It was a warm day outside, so I bet it felt nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them, this is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comments everyone! I read them out loud to charlie and wicket. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg! what a cute story! wicket looks so much like my zoey. they might be related ;) fur-babies are even more entertaining when you have more than one.
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your little pooches are ADORABLE! I loved your narration, I often do the same with my own dogs.

    http://theorderoftheday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!
Be sure to leave a link to YOUR blog so I can come say hi! xoxo