Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day Of School Nerves

I have them. 
Last week was our Summer Break.
I spend the time in my classroom,
hanging posters, organizing, and planning lessons. 

Today is the first day of the new semester. 
I have almost all new students, and I was nervous! 
I felt like it was MY first day at school.

So, I picked out a nice "back to school" outfit, 
and came to face my new classes.

 


Today we went over art class rules, and how I will grade projects. 
I'm still getting used to the idea of grading art work. 
It feels wrong to score someone's work...
but it's a necessity for school.
So, I'm learning the way that works for me.

I have high hopes for the new semester. 
I told the kids what I expect from them...
and what they could expect from me.

I told them it breaks my poor artist heart when they throw colored pencils.
And it breaks even more when they crumple up their work and throw it away.

I told them, they didn't need to be "good" at art, to be good at art.
And that everyone can draw, and everyone can learn.
I told them we would have weekly drawing exercises.
and that I'm not expecting things to be realistic. 
I told them they will see progress, even if it's not perfect.
I told them I want to help them develop a personal style.

And as the kids were leaving for their next period, 
I overheard one girl say to another, "Wow, I'm actually looking forward to art class!"

So far, 
I'd say it's been a good first day. 



Oh! 
And for the winner of the giveaway! 
 
Congrats Kandice! 

And, due to the insane week, we don't have a giveaway this week! 
I've got some fun things planned for next week though.


9 comments:

  1. Sound like a lovely first day, despite the nerves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Da'aw! You're going to do so wonderfully, I'm thrilled for you and quite jealous of your students! Wish I had an art teacher like you! It's going to be a delightful year I am sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was my first day of school too! Except I'm a student still. Quite different from you: my art teacher is an old tattooed painter with parkinson's, and I'm definitely looking forward to art class too. advanced painting.

    I'm sure the semester will go great, and the students will adore you. Wishing you the best

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great!! My first day of school is the day after tomorow (except I'm a student, not teacher) xD It sounds like it would be awesome to have you as a teacher, better than most of the art teachers I've had by the looks of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound like a wonderful and inspiring teacher. If only there were more teachers like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the ONE and ONLY thing i would go back to school for would be an art degree so i could teach high school art. so im gonna be living vicariously thru you and your experiences!! ;) sounds like you nailed it, laying down the law and explaining how things fly in your class. i think thats awesome that you explained what you expect from them- but also what they can expect from you!!! that really meant a lot im sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything you told them was perfect and I'd look forward to having you as my art teacher too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Rachel! You have such a great approach to teaching. It's wonderful that you can share that with kids who might not otherwise be exposed to art in a way that makes them curious. Like everyone else has said, I wish I could have had you as teacher (although I'd have to be a lot younger than I am now).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I teach elementary art pretty much the same way. I hear you. What is fun for me is that I get to see that progress from kindergarten all the way to fifth grade.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!
Be sure to leave a link to YOUR blog so I can come say hi! xoxo