Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Wanderlust

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you would probably remember the time I was traveling a lot.
I moved to a different state every couple of months. 
I ran my shops out of the car.
I painted while I could, and made prints while we stopped. 

I loved it. 
Oh my word..
I loved it

Then I moved back home after the divorce.
I missed the traveling.
Where the thought of moving was not a scary one.
And change was always good.

I loved the adventure in driving.
I loved the luxury of not having a lot of things.
Where moving was just packing up a few belongings and the dog and driving to a new location.

I've been in one place long enough.
I'm ready to travel again.
It's been calling me for months.. I can feel it.

When I first started to travel, I thought how wonderful it would be to do it in a gypsy style vardo.
I saved images, and how to articles on my computer.
I looked back at them often. 
It's always been a dream of mine.

This whole "home" thing is nice, 
and maybe I'll want it in the future.
But, right now..
I want something more! 

So, I've decided to make this dream come true. 
Even if I have to do it alone.
(It's rare to find someone willing to live like this I guess!)



Here are some of my inspiration photos pulled from the archives of my computer.
I don't own any of these images.

Don't worry, I'm not taking off any time soon. 
First I must acquire my van or trailer.

But, I really see this happening.
It's been a dream of mine since as long as I could remember.
 I would tell my parents I wanted to travel the country in a bus with solar panels.
I wanted to do art, and paint, and travel in my bus. 
I was like 10 when I said this.

I believe my parents did quite the face palm at this.
They were indeed raising a little hippie. 
They don't know where it came from,
and neither do I.

But, the thing is, it will happen.

15 comments:

  1. I've been trying to achieve the same dream for 35 years. And you are right, it's hard to find anyone else that's enough of a visionary to do it. My ex-husband wouldn't do it. My current boyfriend won't do it. I did hear from a retired couple in Europe that was doing it. A friend of my bf's was building a vardo. I wonder if he ever succeeded.
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if he did too! I hope so. You should just DO it too. 35 years is too long! Even my years of waiting is too long. It's time to make dreams happen my dear friend! Right? Too bad it costs a bit of money. :) It will be worth it though.

      Delete
  2. That sounds wonderful. If I was single I'd love to do that but my husband would never. I hope you get to live this dream really soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of my exes would do it with me... which is probably one of the reasons they are my exes! :)) Well, not JUST that.. but you know what I mean. It's a very scary thing to do.. some people just can't handle change like that. And it's okay. :)

      Delete
  3. I would love to do this, and those valdos (I never knew the name till now hehe) are so beautiful. I also "suffer" from a severe case of wanderlust. I LOVE traveling! it's such a nice feeling to know you're going somewhere new and experience something you've never felt before. It's so freeing!
    I'm slowly but surely trying to turn my Jeep into a "wanderlust survival kit" I suppose because one day I just want to leave and explore the US. I mostly want to do it on my own as well, because I feel like it'd be a great way to find out more about myself and become dependent solely on myself. :D
    It seems like a female thing now, where it used to be a masculine thing. I only know one guy who would want to do something like this, all the others think it's a crazy idea.
    Good luck to you fellow wanderluster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to do it with someone, but I don't want to have to convince someone that it would be freeing. Maybe I'll just start doing it myself and the right man will find me. That's a lovely though. The best things find you when you aren't looking. :)

      Delete
  4. My fiend krystal from Heber is currently traveling/living out of her van. I believe she is farming in Oregon right now. I lived in my van for 4 straight months in san Diego. I didnt travel much but got to see the ocean every morning. I wouldn't recommend doing it alone for more than 4 months though.

    -michael braman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds rad! I would do it. I've always thought it would be awesome to minimize all belongings down to what can fit into just a back pack, and GO! Most people have way too much SHIT, and they never use it, and don't need it! I wish you well on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I've been talking about doing the same thing, except I always end up somewhere in the Mojave Desert...I haven't given up that dream yet. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would go with you Rachael! I hate the falls :( maybe one day.. We could paint the whole van together!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I think traveling all the time would be awesome, I would miss the lovely stability of having a home and a job I could count on.

    But that's my dream. You follow yours girl! You go! Have a blast and follow your heart!!!

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/SerinsBlackDesigns

    ReplyDelete
  9. The closest I ever came to 'the dream' was driving my station wagon from California to Pennsylvania and back one summer. The only problem was my car kept breaking down (4 times) and I ran out of money and had to go back to CA. So I recommend socking away $4000 or so before you take off. Seems being a gypsy is a lot more expensive than one might think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have wanderlust too. Too bad I'm stuck nearing the end of my 2nd year of my Bachelor of Arts at university. -_- One more year... one more year... then some working, saving, and I'm off!!! Hopefully to London, but I'll be sure to drop by UT sometime to see you and my other friends! :) I love Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has been a dream of mine for many years! I was this close **imagine index and thumb about 1/4" apart** from selling everything, packing up my kids, and homeschooling them while on the road. I want them to experience different cultures first hand and not rely on what the government decides should be included in the curriculum. It's much more honest that way... A week before I had my "big sale" I had a dream about what it would really be like. Stuck in a vehicle with two young children and just myself (I was single at the time)... It scared the hell out of me! Now that I'm with someone who shares that dream and the kids are a little older, I think I am going to start planning for this. I wish you well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have travelled around as much as you and LOVED it, it's in my blood (somehow). Someday a group of us should actually caravan together in high classic style -- art, dance, jewelry, writing, beauty ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!
Be sure to leave a link to YOUR blog so I can come say hi! xoxo